Premature ejaculation (PE) is a condition that undoubtedly affects sexual life in a negative way. Males seldom talk about it as this topic is actually tabooed for them. However, silence is not a solution. There is no need to tell everyone that you can’t last long in bed, but treatment should be started ASAP.
How Fast Ejaculation Can Be Treated
Premature ejaculation it’s when a man is “coming too fast”. It is believed that the problem has purely psychological nature, however it can also be biological. There are several methods of treating PE, which are to be chosen depending on the cause:
- behavioral techniques such as masturbating 1-2 hours before having sex
- Kegel exercises which helps to strengthen pelvic floor muscles (their poor strength may prevent a patient from delaying an ejaculation)
- special sex techniques (the pause-squeeze)
- condoms which decrease penile hypersensitivity
- medications delaying male orgasm
Dapoxetine: Antidepressant-Like Medication to Treat PE
Dapoxetine is a name of a pharmaceutical substance and a generic drug which is sold under brand name Priligy. This is the first drug that was officially approved for PE treatment.
Dapoxetine was initially developing as an antidepressant (it belongs to the category of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs) with short-term action. But researchers discovered an unexpected effect of the substance, it delayed ejaculation in males. Originally the drug was developed by Eli-Lilly corporation (which also produces Cialis), however, rights to it were sold to Johnson & Johnson company in 2003.
This medicine is generally safe for the body. There were no cases of overdosing reported during trials, but this doesn’t mean that you can exceed the recommended limit.
The list of Priligy’s side effects includes:
- abnormal bleeding
- elevated cholesterol rates
- hyponatremia (predominantly in the elderly)
- sleep difficulties (insomnia, nightmares, etc.)
- blurred vision
- suicidal ideation
- dermatological reactions
- bodyweight increase
- upset stomach
- headache and some others
Side effects occur infrequently and usually don’t require cessation of therapy.
Benefits of Dapoxetine (Priligy)
- Delays Ejaculation. The medication increases the so-called intravaginal ejaculation latency time (IELT), which means a time which passes from the start of vaginal penetration to the orgasm in a male. It tends to lessen with age, but dapoxetine comes to the rescue in such cases as well as when a patient has PE. It has already saved many relationships and marriages.
- Increases Sense of Control During Sexual Intercourse. The substance oppresses natural processes linked to “ejaculatory inevitability”, when a male cannot control and stop ejaculation. This is the main reason of its usage for treating PE. Dapoxetine exerts its effect only on targeted brain areas and is not addictive at all. However, its administration is not recommended for individuals with drug abuse history.
- Give More Pleasure from Sex. When a man keeps calm and don’t worry about expected ejaculation which is to be happened uncontrollably soon, he receives more positive feelings from sex, which also extrapolates to his partner.
Priligy is an efficient and sui generis remedy which treats early ejaculation. However, it is contraindicated if a patient suffers from severe hepatic impairment. Like in case with PDE5 inhibitors (Viagra, Cialis, Levitra), it should not be taken or should be taken with huge caution and under a doctor’s supervision when a patient received CYP3A4 inhibitors like ketoconazole and telithromycin.
PE may accompany erectile dysfunction subjecting a man to a “double blow”. But there is a great news: dapoxetine can be combined with popular PDE5 inhibitors. It has been revealed that it doesn’t influence pharmacokinetics of sildenafil (Viagra component) and tadalafil (Cialis). Hence some manufacturers combine two substances to achieve a multi-effect – combating ED and PE concurrently. Ajanta Pharma company produces a combined medication called Super Kamagra which contains 100 mg of sildenafil and 60 mg of dapoxetine. By the way, PDE5 inhibitors themselves may be helpful in case of premature ejaculation. You might be interested in: Filagra Review and Comparison with Super Kamagra